For December 19, 2021
Seven-hundred years before the birth of Jesus Christ, Isaiah writes these prophetic words,
For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6 (NKJV)
Before Christ, the world groped in darkness; doomed to spend eternity separated from God. But this announcement would signal a new day for those of us without affiliation with Israel’s Covenant God.
At the time of Jesus’ birth, most people were oblivious to His low-profile birth in a secluded Bethlehem manger. For the shepherds’ testimony of the Heavenly Host declaring: “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men!” (Luke 2:14 NKJV), was its first report.
Yet today, our world has grown even more dark and civility deficient, leaving us wondering how even young children can conduct vicious murder without conscience. Our fallen world rejects the notion of inherent, personal sin producing our most evil tendencies like:
- Pride, selfishness, and dishonesty in our dealings with God, others, and ourselves.
- A lifestyle that embraces disobedience, rebellion, and sexual immorality consistently.
- Rejection of the biblical truth that our loving, benevolent Creator—God is real. Instead, our “reality” is only what we see, feel, touch, taste, and smell. Only our subjective, empirical knowledge is real or relevant.
- Our sin-darkened mind conjures evil acts that we do to exploit or harm people.
The world awaited the birth of Jesus Christ, who would embody the grace and love of God. He became our Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace to reconcile us to God. Moreover, Jesus, the Son of God became the Lamb of God; our sin-less substitute to appease the wrath of God.
Through Jesus Christ, have become the redeemed recipients of God’s mercy, through faith, who have a different outlook and lifestyle because:
- His precious blood washed away our sins. As a result, God has forgiven us and we are no longer bound by guilt, fear, doubt, or shame.
- The Holy Spirit, who lives inside us, produces the fruits of noble Christian character and conduct.
- We have the mind of Christ, which influences our godly thoughts, words, and actions as we encounter others either in public and private settings.
Because of God’s incomparable Christmas gift to the entire world, we are new creatures. Here, God transforms us so that we no longer “live like the world” around us. Instead, we mirror the spiritual and moral image of Jesus Christ, for God’s glory and our collective benefit.
As His blessed benefactors, Jesus qualifies us to have a joyously abundant life now, and then spend a glorious eternity with Him as our Keeper, Friend, and God forever. Herein lies our greatest benefit. Won’t you trust in Him today?
What a Wonderful Savior!